- 3 tablespoons vegetable or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients, then whisk in the coconut milk. Reserve and refrigerate 1/2 cup of the mixture divided evenly in two containers.
- Cut off the tips of the wings (reserve them for stock or discard), then halve the wings at the joint. Place them in the bowl and toss them with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
- Just before grilling the wings, toast the coconut in a medium-size skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pour the flakes onto a plate and allow them to cool, then lightly crumble the flakes with your fingers and set them aside.
- Prepare the grill for cooking and oil the grates. Grill the wings 8 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, or until the meat is no longer pink inside. Use one container of the reserved marinade to baste the meat at each turn.
- As the wings finish cooking, warm the other container of reserved marinade in a small saucepan until heated through.
- Transfer the cooked wings to a platter and coat them with the warmed marinade. Sprinkle the wings with the toasted coconut and serve them immediately. Serves 6 as a main dish or 12 as an appetizer.
Per serving (6 winglets):
Total Fat 49 g (76% DV)
Saturated Fat 19 g (93% DV)
Cholesterol 175 mg (58% DV)
Sodium 460 mg (19% DV)
Total Carbohydrate 10 g (3% DV)
Fiber 0.8 g (3% DV)
Sugars 9 g
Protein 43 g (86% DV)
(Percent daily values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.)